Turrets 101.......your thoughts

2muchgun

What the best and for what reason? What's good for hunting, what' not? What's too tall and what's too short? Here are some pics for comparison. Anyone has some different turret style pics they'd like to add, that would be good..........

Leupold.......naked
100_0085.jpg

Low pro hunter.......
is.jpg

T2's.........
100_0045.jpg

T2's compared to standard target.......
100_0047.jpg

Standard target.........
100_0082.jpg

M1's.......
100_0078.jpg

Zeiss.......
100_0339.jpg

Nikon......
100_0124.jpg

Trijicon .........
100_0128.jpg

Nightforce......
IMG_1737.jpg

So what do you prefer and why?

I like the size of the Nightforce, but the feel of the Standard target on the Leupold is "crisper" to me. I think that the T2s and Lo Pros would be better for hunting than the Standards, but the only question is grabbing them with gloves on. They may be fine, but I would have to try it first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I prefer the NF turret. What I don't like about my NF is the fact that it's only 10MOA per rev. Then again....I have no issues with my M1 or target turrets on my Loopy's. Then again....the little capped turret on my Nikon 6x isn't bad either for what it is.

[beeep], if they track repeatably they're good enough for me. I'm about an rch from ordering an FXIII 6x42 with a Low Pro Hunter ele knob.

Just saw the FXIII 6x42 BR hunters on sale somewhere yesterday. Like to think some of us that we know had a little to do with it's creation.......

Weavers have always had good repeatability and optics for the money IMO. T-series are great values, track well IME....

We have had this discussion before. Hopefully I can convey my opinion in a more honorable manner.

IMO target turrets are more or less aplicable to the type of hunting you are doing.

I have TT's on my long range, fixed position rifles. Which is most for me because I am a handicapped hunter so my equipment does not see any heavy duty or rugged action. Personally I prefer the TT that has audible "clicks" with a positve feel to them. This way I can look at the turret and count the clicks as I turn the turret, kind of like double checking yourself.

As discussed before I personally do not feel a hunter shoud have target turrets on a "rugged conditions" hunting rifle. Maybe I should ammend this a bit and say that if a hunter wants TT's on a "rugged conditions" rifle then I would choose the non-exposed TT's. If you have the time to dial, then you have the time to take the cover off the turret.

I realize the target turret has a "cool" look factor. I will admit that I like them myself. However for the vast majority of big game hunting they really have no use in the woods what-so-ever. And that is where most big game hunting is done?? Would you not agree with that??

I think the major difference is that most of the guys on this site are not the "average Joe". I would consider most of us as more of the hard core guys. So you may be right when you suggest that TT's are better for hard core hunters. I will agree with you on that one. We are not as far apart as you may think.

I guess my main question is do you think the average guy(not guys like us) is capable of turning turrets in hunting conditions?? Tom. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I really like the look and feel of the Leupold M1 dials.
I also have turrets on a Nikon UCC Monarch 5.5x26.5. They work fine but I like the M1 better.

JD338

i love the target turrets on my nikon buckmaster, but they are not practical at all for hunting. i have found on more than one occasion that they moved while walking through the woods. i switched them back to the regular turrets with the caps.

2much:

Is the Low Pro the one that pops up rather than taking the cap off? If so, have you had any issues with it locking in place? Looking at options and opinions for the elevation dial on my VX-III 2.5-8X. Thanks.

To be honest, I don't know if it pops up or stays that way. I would assume it stays up, since the cap is on it. The Trijicon pops ups, you dial it, or set zero, and put it back down. But you have to remove the cap first, or just leave it off....

Zeiss is the only way to go. I love mine and I have two of them. My 4.5-14x50 that sits on my WSM came with them. I liked them so much, I had them put on my 4.5-14x44. Awesome and track like a SOB.

Back